Last weekend, I went to two movies for the T/F Film Festival. I have always wanted to go to this, but had never done it before. I feel like it's one of those things where you always say how much you'd like to go, but when the time comes around, its easy to find an excuse not to follow through. I am so glad I was "forced" to go!! I love movies (hence being on the Screen dept.), but I've never had an experience like this before. The first movie I went to was called Sons of a Gun and it was about the ex-LAPD hostage negotiator who got in to trouble w/ the IRS. He is now an alcoholic living in a hotel room and taking care of three middle aged schizophrenic men. The overarching theme of the movie was to challenge the traditional concept of family. It was amazing b/c these guys really loved each other and stuck together no matter what. The second movie I saw was Forbidden Lies, which was the one the J-school sponsored. I was absolutely blown away. First of all, the typography in the film was great! The film kind of had a smoke and mirrors theme to go along with the story, so the opening scene/credits showed the protagonist (or was she the antagonist?) in this really cool lighting, and she was smoking. Every time she blew out the smoke, the next credit would sort of appear out of the depths of the plume. I would recommend this movie to any journalism student, and I think they should show it to the entry level classes (or all classes). Basically it's a modern-day Catch-Me-If-You-Can scenario. This woman, Norma Khouri, claimed to have witnessed the honor killing of her friend while she was living in Jordan. Under Random House, she published a non-fiction book about it. Only after it had been on the circuit for a while did anyone seem to notice/catch/care that there were a plethora of factual errors beginning with the very first sentence, which didn't even have the geography of the Middle East correct!!! How the heck does that happen? Seriously?! Well, it turns out she is this brilliant con-woman who actually grew up in Illinoise most of her life (although she did go back and forth between Illinoise and Jordan for real). The whole book is pretty much a farse, and the whole movie has you following along as she tries to prove that it is a true story. But she is so good at lying that it is hard! What ends up happening is that she is pretty much conning the director into trying to help her clear her name, and you are right there along for the ride. I wanted to believe she was innocent! I mean, this lady is good. I want to explain everything that happens because it is such a roller coaster ride, but my post is already getting out of hand. However, I also wanted to mention that while her book was still hot, and before anyone bothered to check the facts, she was all over the morning talk shows and publicity circuits. All of this just goes to show the importance of really looking into what we present as truth in the media.
p.s. Norma, whom the FBI has been trying to nail for years, is now studying to become a lawyer. Makes you feel pretty safe, huh?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment