



So this week I had the secondary feature in VOX. It was a photo essay on Mizzou's club hockey team. The gist of the story is that our school doesn't have the facilities for these guys to practice or play, so they have to go to Jefferson City to do so. Because of that, they can only practice once a week, but they are still a really competitive team. I feel like I say this same sort of thing each week, but for me, this week truly felt like I acheived some sort of milestone with this design. The initial design I turned in was borderline ridiculous it was so over the top. I think I just became obsessed with putting everything I could on the page, and forgot to really think about the story. It took a lot of hard work and a lot of help and patience from our art director, Kristin, but I'm really excited about the final product! I've said before that I really admire white space, but for some reason, I just couldn't get a handle on it myself. An additional challenge was a lack of vertical photos, but after working w/ Kristin I feel as though I understand much better how to group and size images on the page so that they convey a clear story, no matter their orientation. Although I'm still learning, I feel like I'm coming to an understanding for how to MAKE white space, not just admire it. I've posted what I had originally turned in above so you can see the difference, which is just huge. As I said before I was absolutely trying to do WAY to much and it was just kind of gross. Also, I commited the same stupid mistake when I saved my work into PDFs and the part that is supposed to be a spread is not together. The first two images are two different options for the opening page and the last two pages are supposed to be a spread.

3 comments:
I think you did a great job with the hockey feature. It can't be easy to organize photos efficiently for a photo essay. I especially love the the first opening page option with the large picture of the ice and the puck. It's really clean and graphic and goes well with the white space you've created through out the rest of the spread.
I agree with Lindsey. However I was very impressed with your hockey puck shattering through the glass on the original spread, it was very well done. Your original spread works well if the story was more about the sport of hockey and less about the specialness/determination of this missouri team.
I also like the first opening page. It would've been great if it had been published...
Post a Comment