

This was a cover design for our issue about the True False film festival. This one was my favorite of the three I presented. I felt like my others were just kind of mechanical, if that makes any sense, so I felt like I wanted something that was more organic. The tree was meant to symbolize the growth of the festival, but also convey a bit of an indie vibe. I know that in our Monday meetings when all the designers and editors, etc. get together, the editors mentioned that the festival organizers don't necessarily want the festival to become too large, so I thought this would be a great way to convey its growth, but still keep a simplistic/humble attitude. I felt like it was also a good way to convey the opposing nature of True/False that I talk about in the post below, but in a different way. The one on the above is the redesign. I really loved the tip about using the movie titles as the grain of the tree! After getting that advice, I couldn't wait to get home and try it out. I think one way I might still be able to make it stronger for my portfolio might be to play with sizing of type to make it fill out the whole tree a bit more.

9 comments:
Woaah. Did you draw that tree? Pretty baller.
Very cool. I liked the original, but you're redesign is awesome with the T/F logo-apples.
i love your tree. i've attempted to draw a tree before and they are difficult especially because you have to get really detailed in order for it to even look like a tree.
mad props, do you have any tips on how to draw a successful tree?
I definitely like the blue tree the best. Why a tree, by the way? What was your inspiration?
As the general consensus agrees, your tree is mad cool. I really like the idea of incorporating different illustration mediums and techniques into the way we design.
The tree is awesome! Impressive execution. I think I like how you had it in your first draft better, with the red background. For your portfolio, you can take out the cover lines (this will also help your other cover design). The black/red/yellow look great on screen.
I really like the blue redesign also! I wish the film festival itself used more of a variety of colors, making colors like the light blue more appropriate for us to use...
love your tree, just like everyone else. i know you wanted the 'true' to be subtle, but i think it might be too subtle. you could consider reworking that a smidge if you redesign.
I LOVE THIS COVER. THE TREE IS AMAZING!
Post a Comment