


Although all of the designers featured in the Helvetica film were, umm.... passionate, about typography, there was one who was especially passionate (a.k.a. out of her mind) when it came to the implications of Helvetica's overuse. Yes, I'm talking about the lady who apparently believes a typeface is partly to blame for the Vietnam War. However, I really liked the few clips of her work, which showed how she used type as more of an illustration, or added illustration to the type to create a cohesive and playful message. So when I came across the poster above on the blog I'm observing for class, I thought I would share! It isn't her work, but I thought it was a great example of how type can be incorporated into the illustration, or, better yet, become the illustration. (The poster was done by a guy who goes by Moctezuma. More of his work can be found here: http://www.gigposters.com/designer/76441_Moctezuma.html)
Also, I thought the CMYK images below the poster were pretty amusing and thought you might, too! They are part of a series of ads created by Saatchi & Saatchi New York for an apparently fictitious printing company called Hudson Repro.
*NOTE: I'm working on making links clickable and incorporating more images of my own work and the design process, etc. I'm having some technical/blog newb difficulty. By next week, all will be up and running much more smoothly.

3 comments:
The typography on the James Brown poster is amazing. I've always really liked the idea of using type to form shapes, but I've never seen it done like that. I like how the phrases form actual lines of motion rather than a static image; it gives everything a real sense of movement.
I know I've seen those CMYK poster advertisements somewhere, but I can't remember where. I love the cleverness.
OK, Lyndy and I are always on the same wavelength apparently. I love that James Brown poster too. The emotion and energy are very present in the shapes the type makes. I too wish that I could better manipulate text to make strong illustrations.
Post a Comment